Wondering about Wonder

Friday, October 02, 2009

When did we lose our sense of wonder?  When did we start looking at a sunset and forget to actually see it?  I watch Olivia and she is fascinated by the strangest things.  She can't get enough of ears and feet lately.  She shrieks when she sees them and will climb over anything and everything to get a closer look or taste :)  Watching her experience her world for the "first" time makes me think, when did my world become so drab?  Feet and ears don't fascinate me anymore, well except for the ears of old men when they get huge, hairy and kind of floppy (its a badge of honor I look forward to carrying)- I just learned the other day that your ears never stop growing, I wonder why.  My world has become normal, I daresay even mundane at times - that is CRAZY.  How can a world full of beauty and mystery become commonplace? 

One of my favorite documentaries is the Planet Earth series.  The series takes the viewer to places all over Earth - places I could never even imagine seeing.  One episode explores the depths of the oceans, where new species continue to be discovered every year.  Strange animals live there, with glowing translucent features, and appendages that appear to be straight out of a bad sci-fi movie.  Another explores the great rivers of the world and in particular shows rivers running red in Alaska as millions of salmon return to the exact location their lives began in order to spawn.  It is one of the most incredible feats in all creation right alongside the migration of millions of animals across the deserts and savannahs of Africa.  I am inspired to go and see for myself.  I realize how little of this world I have seen with my own eyes and I am propelled towards visions of seeing the sunset across the ocean, and watching it rise across the crest of a mountain - to see the Grand Canyon, the Great Wall, the Pyramids in Egypt, to see an Elephant in the wild, or a great migration of birds.  I am reminded of how little my world is when I think of how little I have seen.  Those are only places and things don't even get me started on the different people groups of this world - beauty in every corner of the earth.

I fear that I get up everyday and look at the world around me and am no longer astonished by what I see.  Olivia lives in a state of nearly eternal surprise...and delight.  She stops everything to examine a doorknob, and is taken back by the sound of rain hitting a window.  When she sees a person she has never seen before she begins to study their features and with a squeal, she announces her presence.  Something just does not add up.  If the world is truly full of beauty and mystery, and yet my vantage point yields normalcy and boredom - something is off, broken perhaps.  I think its me.  I think I may be broken.  I know I may never look at a doorknob the way Olivia does, but I sense I may be seriously lacking some imagination when it comes to the world around me.  Where did my imagination go?  Unfortunately because I am often so self absorbed I miss something incredible because it does not fit into my ideals.  I think the next time it rains, I will try to be less annoyed at getting wet and instead experience the sillyness of water falling from the sky.

The world around me screams of beauty.  How can I spend even a single moment missing that?  I want to regain my sense of wonder; I want to be in awe of something truly grand; I long to be caught up in something far more reaching than my little cubicle of a world.  Tonight I will ask the Author for eyes that can see the world He created in all its splendor and glory.  I long to be amazed.  Tomorrow when I wake I will see the sunrise... perhaps for the first time.

1 comments:

jane October 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

That is why I love working with first graders. Seeing life through their eyes is truly a joy!

About This Blog

"Always do what you are afraid to do."
-Emerson

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP