Storyteller

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In my last blog, I wrote about captivity and about my desire to be a part of setting people free - more specifically about how my calling fits into the greater framework of Christ's calling as found in Isaiah 58.  While still a work in progress, some things are beginning to take shape ever so slowly.  I still feel like I am walking into the fog, but occasionally a glimmer will be provided, a sight on the horizon, a quick picture of what lies ahead.  I think this is God's grace; His providence in my life, urging me forward and reminding me that great things lie ahead.

I like telling stories.  In college, my roommate Paul and I would go back and forth telling stories and entertaining ourselves and others along the way.  Stories are powerful.  Inside of a story lies truth, but that truth is packaged in a narrative which allows us to project ourselves into the story, relate with the truth found there and more readily digest truth into our lives.  Jesus used stories when describing life with God and in relating everyday life to the larger story (metanarrative) that overarches the story of humanity.  I have an inkling that storytelling may be a part of what lies ahead for me.  Not so much in the traditional sense of the word, I don't think there are any jobs out there as a storyteller, but framing truth is something I am very interested in. 

When someone shares their story something powerful happens.  The teller and the listener are somehow intrinsically connect in a new way - to tell your story is to expose yourself - to expose your innermost longings and desires.  To tell your story is to risk and where risk dwells, beauty follows closely behind.  I say this because in each of us lies a story of paramount importance - an unfolding of events Divinely authored and played out on a stage that is encompasses our lives.  Many of us don't embrace this story; instead we fight it, struggling against our reality because the miss the beauty than runs so deeply within it.

This morning I am spending some time reflecting on my story because as I look ahead and strive towards something greater, something better, something life giving I am reminded by the voice deep within that the best way to determine my path ahead is to know understand my trajectory.  That trajectory takes into effect where I have been, where I am at, and to where I am pointed.  I all too readily forget where I have come from, forget the provision of God, suffering from a sort of selective amnesia where somehow the events of my life get reinterpreted in such a way that I am left to suspect I am alone in this venture as I have been all along.  This gross misrepresentation takes place when I forget my story, when I fail to remember the times I have been rescued, the times I have been redeemed and made new and the times when I was hurting and broken and in need of simple kindness and gentle love.  I need to remember - my life and my future depends on my ability to remember what has happened - more pointedly to remember how He has happened over and over in my life, and undeniably so.  This is the overarching story we tie into, the profound and endless love of God demonstrated through Christ, revealed daily, and determined solely by His grace.

 Stories are how Jesus taught us to understand God.  Stories connect us.  Stories are powerful and everyone has one.  How will yours read?  

5 comments:

Ang November 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

As I think through this, I think about what hinders us in recognizing our stories: self-imposed shame, judgement from others, FEAR of judgement from others, selfishness, lack of confidence...

Why do we suffer from these things?

In my opinion, part of the problem is the current culture of Christianity. The body of Christ far too often imposes harsh judgements (on others' stories) instead of offering grace, love and acceptance. What a shame that is. Our job as believers is NOT to judge and impose random punishments, but to offer love and acceptance and mostly guidance toward the truth. The truth being Him.

The Lord delights in us and in writing our stories... Think of how much joy we would bring Him if we accepted His guidance in our lives and chose His story for us instead of our own. If we quit underestimating ourselves and walked confidently, knowing that He is our author and perfector. And if we TRULY believed that being in the story He has written for our lives was enough.

I digress... I am prattling on...

Ryan, I love how your brain works. Thanks for sharing. You are an encouragement (I am now thinking of MY story)--keep pressing in.

Ang November 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

Argh... Sorry for the "preechy-ness" of my above comment. I jumped onto my small soap box. Wah wah waaaaahhhhh....

Most importantly? You've got your readers thinking, Ryan. Good job. :))

Ryan November 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Thanks Ang I appreciate your thoughtfulness in regards to the post. I think you are right on in terms of the role of judgment/shame and closing off our story.

Mary Hendrickson November 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM  

Ang- preach it sister! :) i love you guys and how you both think. this is such a great commentary! i was just thinking about how much i love stories- through books, movies, and friends and family. every person's story is unique and so interesting to me, because every story is different from my own and I can learn so much from their own journey and struggle. i just need to believe that my story is worth talking about and to know that it just might be interesting enough for someone else to hear about, too. thanks for making me think a little deeper tonight, ryan! :)

Henry November 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

Dude, way to post another one. I cant post shit. 2 months; 1 post. I'm floundering here. I have 6 posts in the making and I hate them all equally. They are all going somewhere but I can't package them into a blog. Usually they just disintegrate into boring existential questions. When you sit down do you make sure to finish it in the same sitting? All this to say, I'm just impressed with your consistancy. keep it up.

About This Blog

"Always do what you are afraid to do."
-Emerson

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP