Seasons Changing

Monday, September 21, 2009

One of my favorite times of year is rapidly approaching...Fall. I love the beautiful colors and the cool crisp air that replaces the heat of summer. Fall is one of those times where I am reminded that death is just part of the cycle. As the vibrancy of green slowly turns to warmer hues of red and orange, I'm reminded of what follows. Winter always seems so barren, cold, rainy (especially here in Portland), and harsh. The days are short and the darkness long - I never look forward to winter.


My life right now mirrors these seasons as certain pieces are stripped away in accordance with God's plans and natural life processes, I know I will be left wondering what happened to the beauty that defined my life. The empty branches are a reminder, a promise of sorts that better things are yet to come - that life is always preceded by death. This is simply a plain truth. A seed falls to the ground, dying and eventually being laid open in the soil of the earth only to begin sprouting back up from the earth in a sort of cyclical dance.


Life is this way for all of us I suppose - its just I wish sometimes that my life was always about growth, about adding, about expanding and bulding on what has already been established. I strive stubbornly for this in every aspect of my life - relationships, work, spirituality - I fight the natural cycles because I don't see them for what they are. I lack faith and think that when the time for Fall comes that I may never see Spring again. However, Spring is beautiful in part because Winter is so barren. I want my life to always be like Spring time - God desires to take me through seasons. Seasons reveal things to me about me that I could never see otherwise.


When the leaves are stripped away I can see my life much more plainly - almost painfully so at times and I am reminded of those things I should cling to. I yearn to be faithful in all things and in all seasons, appreciating each for what it brings and each for what it teaches me. I think this Fall I shall learn more about myself as God removes the trimmings, lays my heart bare and then brings restoration and fullness of life in due time.

0 comments:

About This Blog

"Always do what you are afraid to do."
-Emerson

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP